Employers have long been required, in accordance with various federal and state laws and regulations, to provide notices to their employees concerning their rights. Thanks to COVID-19, most North Carolina employers can add to that list. In particular, employers should be aware of the following additional notices obligations:
- The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (“FFCRA”) provides employees of covered employers with paid sick and other leave related to COVID-19. Employers are required to post notices to employees, which posters can be downloaded for free at https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic.
- Pursuant to newly enacted, emergency rule 04 NCAC 24G .0102, employers must, at the time of separation, provide employees with notice informing them that:
- Unemployment insurance benefits are available to unemployed workers who meet applicable eligibility requirements;
- Employees may file a claim in the first week that employment stops or hours are reduced;
- Employees may file claims online at des.nc.gov or by telephone at (888) 737-0259;
- Employees must provide certain information to DES to process the claim, including the worker’s full legal name, social security number, and, authorization to work if the worker is not a United States citizen or resident; and
- Employees may contact DES at (888) 737-0259 and select the appropriate menu option for assistance.
As our communities continue to grapple with the effects of COVID-19, North Carolina employers should expect additional changes with regard to their rights and obligations, many of which may come with little publicity and with minimal time to begin implementation. Law Firm Carolinas’ attorneys are happy to help employers stay on top of these developments, and will work with you to best incorporate these new requirements into the practices and procedures of your business.
The attorneys at Law Firm Carolinas are available to assist by phone, video-conference or email with any issues related to your community association. Please contact any one of the attorneys in our Charlotte, Greensboro, Triangle or Coastal offices.